Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hello Dear...Upgrade Needed

I've become quite cynical about emails from strangers, deleting them upon receipt. I've adopted a "Just Say No" mantra. But this one almost got me.

Subject: Adobe Acrobat: Upgrade Needed

I thought it odd for Adobe to email me, much less attach a zip file, so my suspicions were raised. But I probably did need an upgrade, so I continued reading.

The details seemed legit: 

Adobe is pleased to announce new version upgrades for Adobe Acrobat Reader. Advanced features include:

- Collaborate across borders
- Create rich, polished PDF files from any application that prints
- Ensure visual fidelity
- Encrypt and share PDF files more securely
- Use the standard for document archival and exchange

To upgrade and enhance your work productivity today please open attached file.

Copyright 2011 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
TrackNum: RBN098-2772687
Adobe Systems Incorporated,
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 16:56:18 +0200


Then I re-read the greeting: "Hello Dear." And hit delete.

"Hello Kitty" would have been more believable. 

Score one more for the suspicious consumer, another zero for spammers.

No comments:

Post a Comment