Friday, November 11, 2011

Don’t be a tool

Who hasn’t heard someone say:

 
“I’m a Mac person.”
“I’m a PC person.”
“I’m a Facebook person.”
“I’m a Twitter person.”
“I’m a (insert digital tool name here) person.”

Wasn’t technology supposed to bring us together? Instead it has us splitting into factions.

"I’m an iPad person.”
"I’m a Kindle person.
”

Can’t we all just get along? Why this need to choose? It makes much better sense to pick the best tool for the job at hand.

And speaking of tools, there’s a saying that if all you have is a hammer, then every problem is a nail. So what happens when you have a screw loose?

I don’t want to be defined by the device I use. I don’t want to be a tool. I’m a person, plain and simple. One who likes to use neat, new technology, knowing that devices will evolve to neater, newer technology in short order.

My smartphone has been a great help in my one-woman business. I can’t imagine ever giving it up. But I’m not pledging allegiance to BlackBerry or iPhone or Android. They’re only a tool...and I am not.

No comments:

Post a Comment