Monday, December 19, 2011

Religion comes into play

I usually resist talking about politics or religion, even though both are front and center these days. With the 2012 elections underway since, well, 2008, I've learned to keep my finger on the mute button of the remote.

I wish I could do the same with religion, which I view as a personal matter not well suited for public displays. But public displays and declarations abound.
  • Controversy continues over the "Keep Christ in Christmas" sign in Pitman, N.J. I guess the locals forget that those who don't celebrate Christmas might not want to live under the banner of someone else's religion.
  • This season of Survivor: South Pacific was the most prayerful ever -- as if who would win immunity was a matter of divine intervention.
  • Then there's the Denver Bronco's Tim Tebow, whose kneeling in prayer on the playing field has become a phenomenon. The best response to "tebowing" is this skit from Saturday Night Live (after brief ad).


So when it comes to politics or religion, I really don't have to say anything at all. There are enough voices in the mix as it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment