Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Running Philly Style

Rarely have I ever witnessed the rise of a phenomenon from the front row. With the March issue of Runner's World magazine, I now see that I have. For the past four years, I've been hearing about, watching, and running alongside kids participating in the Students Run Philly Style program.

SRPS uses running to help kids in Philadelphia improve their health , self-esteem, and choices in life. In its short tenure, more than 700 have taken part...and the success stories seem the stuff of Hollywood movies. The latest tribute in Runner's World, by Tom McGrath, is titled "Youth movement: A running program gives inner-city kids confidence, discipline, and a bit of bling."

Heather McDaniel is both program director and its major champion. Congratulations to her and to the entire gang for achieving this national recognition.

I look forward to seeing those newly famous faces and bright blue shirts at upcoming races.

No comments:

Post a Comment